Saturday, October 11, 2008

The One With Boats

#129 - Draw People Doing Something; #192 - Draw Something That Floats

Newcomers to our fair little city, those of a nautical bent that is, might wish to join a yacht club. If they hook up with the oldest and most venerable they can enjoy tennis courts, a swimming pool, a fine restaurant, bar, and other amenities (for an upscale annual fee, of course) but chances are they will not be able to find co-members who want to talk about trimming the sails and love of the sea and objects floating thereon. Being a fan of irony this amuses me no end! I did some research into the history of the Hilo Yacht Club because I had it in the back of my head that there must have been a time in its 95-year history when an obvious connection to yachts was lost. This is what I found:

HYC was conceived in 1913, to create a social club promoting "aquatic and other athletic sports and pastimes." Surprisingly enough, the aquatic sport then of choice was "the lively interest in competitive rowing!" Up until the tsunami of '46, which evidentially swept it away for good, this club maintained a boathouse and some rowboats. Any other connection with yachting as a sport is confined to the fact that in 1962 their governing board voted to change the official title of chief officer from "president" to "commodore." I ask you, does a fleet of rowboats, gone nearly 20 years, actually require a commodore?

Na Hoa Holomoku of Hawaii Yacht Club on the other hand (it's a mouthful, but the other name was already in use) owns and maintains several sailing vessels and actively promotes sailing. If you have even so much as a whim that sailing might be fun, show up at their Sailing 101 Sundays, held without charge once a month on the bayfront. They will gladly give you a taste of the sport. Join, take classes, and help out with maintenance chores for the fleet and you can be a sailor - aargh! But, they don't have a clubhouse and swimming pool.

To be fair though, I must give credit to the Hilo Yacht Club for being politically correct. Why, as early as 1984 they voted to allow women to hold membership "under their own right!"

11 comments:

Lisa Adams Reed said...

Hey! No need to make apologies on EDM. Every posting of yours counts as 10! Lovely, really. Each and every post. Thank you!
Lisa

Janice said...

Very well done indeed!

When I was in high school I used to park next to Reed's Bay and imagine what it'd be like to sail right out of there. Hmmm...I'm getting ideas...

Pippa * Jeanne said...

Christie, I know so very well what you mean: I am sitting on an award I feel very unworthy of as well. Time to simply accept it and enjoy it with gratitude.

Your art is, as always, breathtakingly inspiring! And combined with such an interesting piece of history ... I had to chuckle!

Hope you are in the flow again. And thanks for inspiring me: time for me to get back in the flow as well!

Love,
Pippa

Margaret Ann said...

Whoa! This rocks! Gorgeous!!! :)

Ricardo Sérgio said...

lovely drawing. Amazing!

Angelica said...

Glad to see you back Christie!!

I got married at the Yacht Club -- I remember seeing only one yacht -- a carved wooden ship mounted on the wall :)

I love the detail in this piece.

Blessings, Angelica

BARBARA WEEKS said...

Nicely done! It's good to multitask!

Ann said...

Glad to see you back. And with a beautiful drawing too. I always look forward to your posts no matter how long the wait :)

Timaree said...

Great drawing and story. Imagine allowing women full membership! And as early as 1984!

Sandy said...

Wow, I don't care how long you miss a post, these are worth the wait!! (so - ok - post more!!)

Lynn said...

This is a lovely drawing!