Thursday, November 5, 2009

Have We Met In A Past Life?

#185 - Draw a Cat

Meet Squirt, the sole feline member of our little household. He is a recycled feral creature, which means he has lots of quirks, issues and attitude. His typical day starts with breakfast on the lanai. Here he allows us the honor of giving him some food, so long as we don't linger to watch him eat it. We might be so bold as to touch him on a good day, but if we do he stays shock-still until the ordeal is over. Later he will mosey over to his nap spot outside the bedroom door and lay down on the doormat after pummelling it into a lumpy wad. While on the lanai he tolerates our presence so long as no petting or prolonged eye contact is involved. If he catches sight of us down in the yard, however, he runs as if from death itself and hides. The same thing happens if he sees us exit the house from the back door instead of the front. Out the back door, we are monsters! From the front, we might feed him. (At least I guess that's his reasoning.)

Then comes bedtime. Around eleven, he scratches at the door and my husband lets him in. He jumps into bed with us, and now is a different animal. He demands touching, cuddling, petting. His purring is so loud it's hard to sleep! Should we ignore him, he launches himself against our bodies and performs a weird somersaulting movement, pulling himself against us to simulate the sensation of stroking. Sometimes he will even wake us with tentative pawing, in the early morning hours, to experience more touch and attention. But come daylight we are again treated with great suspicion and reserve.

"He is so bizarre!" my husband and I declare. "Have you ever seen such behavior?" we ask each other. Well, actually, I must admit that the behavior isn't totally unknown to me. I just realized recently that when I was a single lady (years ago!!) I met, or heard from my girlfriends about, many such males. If I were to believe in karmic reincarnation, then maybe my Squirt was once a commitment phobic Lothario!
***

12 comments:

Susan said...

I am a friend of feral cats myself. Thoroughly enjoyed your blog and the drawing.

Angelica said...

It is sooo good to have you back -- such a great artist and writer!!

Blessings, Angelica

Alex said...

Beautiful kitty. I really like the colors of the fur ^^

Jennifer Edwards said...

Terrific drawing here! I enjoyed seeing many of your drawings...the mug with various implements of creativity bursting out of it is fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful cat! Excellent work!

Kirstin said...

Lovely story and drawing. I don't think your cat is alone in this weirdness. After 15 years, ours has warmed up enough to let us touch her during the day too though so maybe give it another 10 years.

Ann said...

This is a beautiful drawing and a great story to go with. Your colored pencil drawing is fantastic!

Ellen Burkett said...

How is it that I just discovered your blog? It's great, as are your drawings. Your stories are charming and delightful. Way to go, all the way around!

This cat is beautiful. I look forward to more from you!

Ramona Davidson said...

Lovely story and and the cat is great.

Patty Ruthe said...

Great sketch! Love your story. My cat is also very affectionate in bed but can't be bothered during the day.

Sharon P Pope said...

I have been adopted by a few feral cats myself, with all their quirkiness, so I know of which you speak. LOL I loved reading about your cat and the drawing is great. You captured the "attitude." :)

Susan Hosken said...

Hi Christie,
I wish I had been able to do a more detailed drawing of my beloved SOoty before she died. I could only do my simple line drawings. Love yours.
lots of love from susan in australia