Monday, May 5, 2008

Ode to My Old Friend Jeeves

#169 - Draw a piece of cake

I was introduced to AskJeeves soon after I discovered the Internet. We immediately hit it off. I could ask him anything, he was never too busy to talk and he never ridiculed my questions. He was especially helpful when I came home late from work and didn't have a meal planned. I would look in the pantry, make a list of three or more ingredients, and ask "What can I make for dinner with (fill in the blanks?) Often I was given menus and recipes which exactly fit my needs, sometimes it was necessary to make a few substitutions, and even if no close answer appeared I always received an idea to build on. Then one fateful evening I was down to a couple of condiments, wilted lettuce, and a half bag of Gummi Bears. In desperation I typed the question anyway and hit "search", fearing that the CPU might explode, or that Jeeves might decide he didn't want to be my friend anymore. But instead he came up with an answer and it was spot-on. The first hit was "How to make dinner reservations online"!

This reminiscence came about because I first had to bake a cake in order to draw one. Being a practical person, I searched for a recipe using two ingredients I have an overabundance of: dried, natural coconut from our front yard, and bran cereal from an unfortunate experiment in case lot buying. I didn't think I was going to like this crumbcake, but it turned out to be surprisingly good. The main flavors, coconut, coffee and almond, blend so beautifully that no one dominates. The recipe is a keeper, the drawing -- not so much.

13 comments:

Dana S. Whitney said...

But the story PLUS the drawing is quite tasty. I hope your coconut-rich home is near paradise. There are no coconut palms that I know of in Texas. BIG carbon foot print problem!

Roshanda said...

I love reading your posts. You are so funny! I think the drawing is great. I love the texture they all have, almost like a block print. Your cake drawing is wonderful and it sounds delicious!

Sandy said...

Well I disagree I think this cake sketch is Very deep and dense and mysterious, looks very moist and crumbly at the same time. Such subtle work on the topping and plate especially. And Humm I have never tried Ask Jeeves and he could be a major Friend in Deed!

Alan said...

This is a fine looking cake. Wouldn't mind a slice myself

Spinneretta said...

I think the cake looks great! (And I love coconut!)

Lynn said...

What a great post! Your cake is wonderful, and you achieved the perfect "cakelike" texture.

Ann said...

Love the story AND the drawing! I have plates similar to that in my attic. You did a wonderful job with this:)

Margaret McCarthy Hunt said...

This is a great sketch!!!

Deborah said...

This brought a smile to my face. I don't think I've ever ask Jeeves a question but I will now.

Ernie Hendrix said...

Love your blog. You have a wonderful way with words and each post is so enjoyable. And then add the quality of your drawings and you've got a thing of beauty here. Keep it up, I've added you to my Google Reader and look forward to seeing more of your posts.

Ms. Ernie
Gypsy Gold Studio

Ann said...

Christie, thanks for the comment on my blog :) The writing on the journal page is from Annie Dillard, not me. Of course the blog entry writing is all my own and sure, you can quote that if you'd like. You seem to have a much surer command of words than I do though, but thanks for asking. Maybe just link it back to me?

Margaret Ann said...

A brilliant post...a wonderful drawing...I especially love the plate....well done! :)

Jennifer Lawson said...

Great drawing. Great story.